Monday, May 7, 2007

Reach out and call the one you love?

Doc Here!

Been a little busy the last couple of days with a MWR run, weekly reports and my turn on night shift. So I figured I better get off my ass and send this post out.
One of the most useful things in my medical ammo is the reference material. I use the Special Forces Medical Handbook, a Family Practice Medical Handbook, a real good Derm book (with pictures) and the stuff I have accumulated on my laptop. This gives me a whole bunch of backup and refresher info.
In researching ways to minimize my "load" of info, I have used in the past a PDA. Every one should know what that is and about how it works, so I won't bore you with those details. One "version" of the PDA is the Smartphone. This is a combo unit with cell, PDA, mp3 and other options, depending on what you want to pay for.
The best one for me..... and I will recommend it to you..... is the Treo 680 from Palm. This is a Smartphone with quad-band capabilites, PDA, mp3 player and bunch of other stuff on there. The phone part is very important....... it is a GSM Quad-band cell phone. That means you can use it pretty much anywhere in the world that has cell service. All you have to do is buy the SIM card for whatever area you are in (Iraqna or Asia Cell over here) and with a pre-paid calling card, you have phone service.
Back in the states, we don't play that pre-paid stuff as much as they do in the rest of the world. We love our 2 year service contracts! That means that you can get one of these Smartphones through Verizon or Cingular pretty much for nothing WITH A CONTRACT. That's OK if you don't leave the country. Yes, they have international plans, but I don't know what they are. Anyway, I don't like the contract thing. I'm hardly in the states and when I am it isn't for very long. So I found out the T-MOBILE sells the SIM card and the pre-paid service cards that works on the TREO 680.
There, problem solved. Now there is a place to buy an "opened" GSM Smartphone, get a SIM card for it and use pre-paid service in the states. Take that gadget with you and get another SIM card (pre-paid) at the other location(s) you'll be working or partying at and you have service there.
The PDA part of the TREO 680 is pretty cool too. Besides being able to be expanded to over 2 gigs of info with and expansion card, the unit does a mean mp3 thing. Options galore come with this and more to get later.
I'll talk about some of the good PDA files to use on this machine at a later date. That could take awhile!

So if you want a discount on a brand new TREO 680 click on the link at the top of the left side bar or the one further down.


Doc out!

No comments: